1/19/2023 0 Comments
The Myth of the Resolution
Happy New Year and welcome to my TED Talk. Christmas is over and about to be 2023--resolution talk is everywhere. Here are some key tips and effective strategies to navigate the madness. Feel healthier, stronger, energetic, move better, improve sleep, and boost your self confidence.
You don’t need resolutions! You need to have customized plan to fit you and your goals. Instead of going with the latest fad diet or trendy workout remember: strength training, cardio, range of motion, balance and nutrition are all part of the equation. You can’t out exercise a bad diet!
Being injured sucks! Don’t forget the importance of a proper warm up, stretching, and mobility (foam roller) and cool down. You can’t just show up to your workout, leave when you drop the weights months on end without eventually leading to injury. As we get older, warm-up and stretching is more and more crucial to injury prevention, as is recovery. . Go for a walk, do some light stretching and foam rolling before and after you get your strength session.
Intensity is important, focus! Walk into a gym anywhere and count the number of people on their phones. Maybe 30% are exercising and the other 70% are gazing into their phones, texting, on the phone, scrolling Instagram, making TikToks of themselves, taking selfies in the bathroom mirror, talking or people watching. Be present! You get what you put into the work. You have 30 min-1hr that you’ve made for yourself, maximize your time. Stay focused between sets.
Hydrate! It sounds simple but muscle soreness and joint stiffness are always worse if you’re not properly hydrated.
Slow down! Strength is all about time under tension. Slow down the hard part of the exercise (where the muscle is lengthening.) For example, in a bicep curl, control the speed on the way down. Another example is to go slow on the way down into your squat.
Core work! A strong core will save you from serious injury and it’s more than just the abs! The core also consists of obliques, lower back, glutes and hips. Learn when to inhale, exhale and properly engage your core.
Being healthy and fit is a lifestyle! These are habits are sustainable long-term. This is not a month-long program or a two-week quick fix. Be consistent. Remember no matter how slow the progress, it’s still progress.
Don’t compare your body or your journey! Work with where you are in present time. Don’t compare your 60- or 70-year-old self with what worked when you were 18. Don't compare yourself to your friends or what might work for other people.
Everyone has to start somewhere! Nothing happens if you don’t *MOVE* into action.
Motivation will come and go! Don't wait for it or nothing will get done. Frequency and consistency are your keys to success.
Your favorite trainer,
Leave a Reply.
All Abdominals Abs Allergies Austin Tx Bench Carbs Cardio Clients Core Diet Excuses Exercise Fiber Fitness Fruits Grains Health Injury Prevention Lean Mass Log Motivation Muscle Overcoming Personal Trainer Personal Trainer Austin Tx Personal Trainer In Austin Tx Personal Trainers In Austin Texas Personal Training Plan Plank Plateaus Procrastination Roadblock Running Schedule Shoulders Stall Summer Time Management Tummy Fat Vacation Vegetables Weight Loss Workout Workouts